Cassava is a root vegetable with botanical name Manihot Esculenta. It’s one of the important root crops in the world because of its various bye products.
A ton of raw cassava in Nigeria as of February this year (2020) is between N22, 000 to N28,000.
In 2017, cassava roots moved from N13,000 per ton to about N40,000 per ton according to local buyers.
What is the Yield of Cassava Per Hectare in Nigeria?
The average yield per hectare is 12.8 tonnes.
How Many Bags of Cassava Makes a Ton?
Guess! you are curious, how many bags!!! According to estimates, 21 bags of Cassava equal to one Ton of Cassava.
Cassava Chip Price Per Ton in Nigeria
Nigerian chips are selling for $400 to $450, per tonne.
However the price of Cassava root can be as low as N7, 000 or as high as N40, 000 per tonne depending on the state, location and season.
Cassava Farming In Nigeria
Cassava production is one of the vital sectors in the Agricultural food chain that is contributing to Nigeria’s Gross Domestic Product.
As it stands today, Nigeria is the world's largest producer of Cassava.
For instance, it is on record that cassava production is heavily grown and produced in 24 of the country’s 36 states.
In 1999, Nigeria produced 33 million Tonnes of Cassava to become one of the largest producers of cassava in the world.
As a result of its many uses, cassava farming has become a lucrative business in Nigeria which offers numerous opportunities to would-be investors.
Experts and operators in the business have stated that cassava and its products serve as food to about 90 percent of Nigerian households. Some of the products from cassava include garri, wheat-flour, animal feed, ethanol for biofuels, etc.
Cassava Production in Nigeria
In Nigeria, cassava production is well-developed and organized with great potential for further production increase. Under optimal conditions, cassava yields can reach 80 tonnes per hectare, compared to the current world average yield of just 12.8 tonnes
The Major States of Nigeria which produce cassava are Anambra, Delta, Edo, Benue, Cross River, Imo, Oyo, and Rivers, and to a lesser extent Kwara and Ondo.
Cassava Health Benefits
- Cassava roots are an excellent source of minerals and vitamins such as manganese, calcium, phosphorus, potassium, and Iron. All these are responsible for the healthy development of the body.
- Cassava is rich in fibers and dietary fiber which are helpful in preventing constipation.
- Cassava contains a high amount of carbohydrates content which consuming them can provide a lot of energy to the body.
- Consuming cassava is also helpful in weight management.
- Eating cassava regularly prevents one from various types of cancer.
- Cassava also enhances a good digestive system.