Passports generally are legal documents issued by the National Government for international travel and tours and it serves as a certified identity and nationality of the holder.
South Africa (SA), passports are issued by the South African Department of Home Affairs inline with SA Passport and Travel Documents Act, (Act 4 of 1994).
For those who want to obtain a SA passport for the first time or yours have expired, you want a renewal, here are the updated fees you are expected to pay for 2020.
- The first application for Tourist Passport R400.00
- Reapply must bring old passport copy R400.00
- Re-apply with lost passport R800.00
- Re-apply with a passport that is full – must bring full passport R400.00
- Re-apply with a passport that is full – but a passport is lost R800.00
- Re-apply for passport with 3 pages left – must bring passport R400.00
- Re-apply for passport with 3 pages left – but passport is lost R800.00
- First time application for Maxi Tourist Passport R600.00
- Re-apply for Maxi Tourist Passport – passport lost or not present R1200
- Re-apply for Maxi Tourist Passport that is full – must present old Passport R600
How to Apply for SA Passport Renewal
For those whose passport have expired, renewing it is a little easier than applying for a new one in South Africa.
Renewal of passport in SA are done every 10 years although we have categories of 5 years for Children who are 15 years or younger.
The following are procedures you will have to follow in renewing your passport irrespective of the category.
- Go to eHome Affairs website
- Create a profile
- Answer the simple Security Questions
- Create a Password
- Capture the one time pin sent to your cellphone
- Attach a copy of your ID.
After which you proceed to payment:
- Enter your account details on the site.
- Log into your internet banking to authorize the payment – go to ‘My Bills’ under ‘Payments’ to initiate a payment instruction.
- Add up the Department of Home Affairs as a beneficiary and a payment instruction will now appear under ‘My Bills’.
- Enter your reference number and approve the payment of R400 to the Department of Home Affairs.
- After payment, you move a step further to book an appointment. Once the Department of Home Affairs has registered that you have paid, an appointment date will be given to record your biometric data.
- If you don’t live in Cape Town, Johannesburg or Pretoria and not able to select your account, don’t panic, just go to your local Home Affairs Department, this does not require an appointment.
- Successful in making payment and verified by the Department of Home Affairs, your biometrics data which includes: two thumbprints, a photo and your signature will be captured.
- After your biometrics have been captured, you will have to wait for 10 days or more to collect your renewed passport as you will be notified by SMS or email.
How Much is South Africa Passport Renewal Fees
Depending on the category of passport you have, here are the fees you will be required to pay to renew.
How Long Does It Take to Get a South African Passport
It takes approximately 7 – 21days to get a South African passport.
How Much Does a South-African Passport Cost
The cost of processing the SA passport is R140 after which you are expected to pay R400 to renew the passport which takes approximately 10 days or more.
Types of South Africa Passport
The following are types of SA passport:
- Regular passport
This kind of Passport contains 32 pages and are valid for 10 years, they are issued to citizens who are 16 and above and used for occasional travel, such as vacations and business trips.
Note: The flip side of regular passports is that they are not renewable when they expire, you just have to apply from afresh.
- Maxi Passport
Maxi Passport although having some features with regular passports, contains 48 pages to cater to frequent travelers.
They are issued to citizens aged 16 and above, valid for 10 years and are not renewable.
- Child passport
This category of a passport is issued to citizens who are 15 years of age or below, they are not renewable and are valid for only 5 years.
- Official Passport
As the name implies, they are issued to officials attached to government institutions who have to travel on official business.
This kind of passport is free of charge and issued by the Department of Home Affairs, valid for 5 years.
- Diplomatic Passport
This kind of Passport is
issued to diplomats and consuls for work-related travel, they are free of charge, not only that, they are also given to the Diplomat or Consuls accompanying dependants.